As you all know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, there is a lot that Qatar does for you that I think is not quite aware in the public. I was invited to be part of the Intercontinental Doha The City’s Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign, and came across all this information that was so unknown to me before, and probably to many of you as well, and thought I would share it here:
The Breast and Bowel Screening Program is a life-saving population-based initiative that aims to promote education, awareness and early detection of breast and bowel cancer in Qatar. Titled ‘Screen for Life’, it is being conducted under Qatar’s National Cancer Program which represents a shift towards preventive and community-based care. The program encourages women aged 45-69 years with no symptoms to receive breast cancer screening through mammography, which is generally considered safe, quick, and painless. The Ministry of Public Health recommends breast cancer screening every three years.
What are the symptoms of breast cancer?
- A persistent lump in the breast
- One or more lumps in the armpit
- Changes in the shape or size of the breasts, particularly if only one breast changes.
- Breast skin changes, such as dimpling, puckering, redness, increased warmth, thickening or itching.
- Nipple changes, such as sudden inversion, discharge or scaling.
What can I do to lower my risk?
- Get atleast 150 minutes per week of aerobic activity
- Breastfeed for as long as possible
- Consult your doctor to limit the dose and duration of hormone therapy
- Avoid exposure to radiation and environmental pollution.
- Don’t drink alcohol
- Don’t smoke
- Control your weight
What is a mammogram?
A screening mammogram is a low x-ray exam of the breasts to look for changes that are not normal. A mammogram is used as part of a screening plan to check for breast cancer in women who have no signs or symptoms of the disease. Mammogram is generally considered safe, quick, and relatively painless.
If you would like to schedule a screening for yourself or someone dear and near to you, contact 800 1112 or write to email@example.com