How to Brew that Perfect Cup of Tea | Jing

I am not that person who cannot live without tea or coffee. I enjoy both of them from time to time. However, learning about their growth, types, and everything that has to brewing that perfect cup, I wouldn’t pass it by just like that. Having been to the world’s highest tea plantation just last month, and a year ago travelling through as many tea plantation, and all experiences – tea I could while in Sri Lanka, I was nothing but delighted when an invite for a tea masterclass came in – Why not?

Having been to the Highest Tea Plantation in the World just last month, and going through Sri Lanka’s various tea estates, tea museums, and tea factory the year before, I am always fascinated about experiencing and learning anything that has got to do with Tea.

January is International Hot Tea Month. It is said that tea was founded when dried leaves landed in a boiling cup of water served to the Chinese Emperor Shen Nung.

Our masterclass was arranged in the outdoor seating of the Lobby Lounge at The Westin Doha. It was quite windy that day, and the wind was strong enough to even knock down a potted plant off the table. In this cold, and windy setting, there was nothing like some freshly brewed tea to keep us warm.

Jing Tea is one of the most premium teas in the world, and the company was founded in 2004. We were given a chance to see the difference in quality of the tea. The aroma, the packaging, the concept – everything was well thought about, and put together.

For a cup of tea, normally around 4 grams of tea leaves are recommended.

• Valerie
    January 23, 2017 at 12:33 am

This post makes me realize how little I know about tea! That is such a good tip about putting a little room temp water on the white & green tea before covering with boiling, it never would have occurred to me. I would absolutely love to go to a tea plantation one day. The highest one in the world- was that in Sri Lanka?

January 23, 2017 at 1:33 am

The highest tea plantation in the world is in India

• Fiona Mai
    January 23, 2017 at 1:50 am

Oh wow, it’s always interesting to learn about the tea culture in each country. I’m living in the UK where drinking tea is a serious topic. Also in Japan the tea serving and brewing process is quite complicated, too. Great to know more about brewing tea in Sri Lanka. Thanks for sharing!

• Lena from fouronaworldtrip
    January 23, 2017 at 1:42 pm

great article! I am always amazed to find so much detail and science in a drink (or food) that I just casually drink without giving it much thought or being able to figure out any differences. It makes me appreciate it more knowing that it’s not just a random drink 🙂 Thank you for that!

• Lydia@LifeUntraveled
    January 23, 2017 at 8:58 pm

I don’t drink much tea but my boyfriend is a big fan so when we traveled to Sri Lanka and India two years ago, he purchased a bunch of different teas from different regions. It’s fascinating how such a simple beverage can be so complex to prepare!

• claire
    January 24, 2017 at 5:23 am

This would be my perfect day! I’m such a huge tea fan. I’m British so its in my blood haha. I love tea so much I brought a tone of herbs with me on the road and some Yorkshire tea bags so I never have to do without!

• Cori
    January 24, 2017 at 5:16 pm

There was a while in my life where all of my tea was brought back from Sri Lanka for me, as a friend would go back to see his family regularly. Despite this, I’d never really thought about how cool it would be to go to Sri Lankan tea plantations myself. Very neat!

January 24, 2017 at 6:37 pm

The tea plantations are amazing just to look at. And the tea brands and packaging that you will see in Sri Lanka those are such bank breakers. So pretty and different that you want them all. You should definitely visit Sri Lanka if you get the chance to. Its a beautiful country. My masterclass was in Doha where am based ☺

• Sarah Kim
    January 24, 2017 at 5:31 pm

Oh I’d love to take a masterclass for tea! I only found out that tea leaves are supposed to be boiled at different temperatures because of this water boiler that I bought. It actually has different marks for white tea vs. coffee so I don’t have to think twice about what’s best!

January 24, 2017 at 6:35 pm

That is such a cool water boiler. So informative when its just a boiler. Where did you get that from?

• Scott Balaam
    January 25, 2017 at 11:35 am

Love this – first time I’ve ever read an article about ‘tea’ … I loved the picture of Jing Chamomile. It’s amazing how many different types of tea there are.

• Erica - The Manini Experience
    January 25, 2017 at 7:27 pm

I love tea so much and especially appreciate the process of making tea. That photo of the woman picking the tea leaves is so gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!

• Shobha
    January 25, 2017 at 9:13 pm

I had no idea that different tea was brewed differently! I’d love to do this so I can learn more. I love tea but only ever have either green tea or English Breakfast.

• Sarah @Daydreams of Summertime
    January 26, 2017 at 11:07 pm

I would love to take a masterclass in tea making! I am British so take tea drinking very seriously. I own a few types of tea by Jing that have been sitting in my cupboard for a while and this post has inspired me to get them out and drink them!

• Milena
    January 27, 2017 at 1:58 am

As a real tea lover, I find this post so useful! Unfortunately, I haven’t had a chance to taste Jing Tea, but it looks really good from your picture and description. Thanks for sharing!

• Emily
    January 28, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Sounds like a perfect day. Tea absolutely has to be taken seriously – it’s a way of life for us Brits! The teapots the Sri Lankans use here are beautiful as you can watch the tea brewing. I’ll definitely have to go here if I get to Sri Lanka!

• The Common Wanderer
    January 29, 2017 at 1:13 pm

Tea was our saviour each morning on our RTW trip. If’s funny how some leaves and boiling water can make life worth living each morning 🙂

• Jesper, The Biveros Effect
    January 29, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Wow, the art of tea really is something. My normal cup of tea with some honey sounds quite simple in comparison. 🙂

W A L K I N G
Is walking part of your lifestyle?
The concept of walking is a little bit alien to my lifestyle. Probably because of the oppressive heat here most months. My go-to place for walks  here in Doha would be a mall and probably the aspire park when the weather is cooler
Seeing places like these to walk through made me realize why walking is not only a part of everyday lifestyle in other places. Walking is leisure ☺ .
#qatarbloggers #visitmacedonia #macedonia #makedonija #makedonya #makedonia #skopjecity #qatarairways #europe #travelbrilliant #historicsites #skopjemarriott #acolorstory #traveltheworld #travelbrilliantly #qatarbloggers #dohabloggers #kokino #kumanovo  #Macedonianplaces #wiew #ohridcity #Šarena  #tetovo #ŠarenaDžamija #Džamija  #ottomanarchitecture #fyrom #balkan #goingplacestogether #themacedonianlife
M A V R O V O
What does your weekend plan look like?This picture was shot on my #SamsungS8 at Mavrova , Macedonia is a country that is worth seeing and experiencing. A hidden gem in Europe!Have you been ? What is your must visit travel destination?
🇲🇰 .
#qatarbloggers #visitmacedonia #macedonia #makedonija #makedonya #makedonia #skopjecity #qatarairways #europe #travelbrilliant #myunicornlife #momentslikethese #skopjemarriott #acolorstory #traveltheworld #travelbrilliantly #mavrova #inspiremyinstagram #mavrovanationalpark #qatarbloggers #dohabloggers  #Macedonianplaces #wiew  #ohridlake #lakeohrid #albania #fyrom #balkan #goingplacestogether
T R O P I C A L  J U N G L E
How would you caption this shot?
What I loved about @dhigalimaldives was it was more a family style resort in the Maldives - a place where you could experience culture and nature together - a very different scene in the Maldives
.@dhigalimaldives 🛑
F R I E N D S H I  P🇲🇰🇲🇰🇲🇰
Nothing bad comes out of being kind. This journey of mine has allowed me to meet kind people from around the world. My friend took me to her childhood friend's place when I visited Macedonia. This beautiful succulent was in her place.😍 It was amazing to see and experience the place more than just being a tourist. For what to do and where to be when you travel to Macedonia, Follow @experienceskopje 🇲🇰 I believe in the fact that there is something good in everybody.💫 Maybe we wont get along with everyone. But, we do not have to dwell on the negativities in our life because there are too many amazing people we are surrounded by and worth our positive vibes everyday 😊😊
🛫@qatarairways flies to Skopje from Doha 4 times a week 🛑
🏡Where to stay in Macedonia: @skopjemarriott
🛑 .
#qatarbloggers #visitmacedonia #macedonia #makedonija #makedonya #makedonia #skopjecity #qatarairways #europe #travelbrilliant #marriott #skopjemarriott #acolorstory #traveltheworld #travelbrilliantly #qatarbloggers #dohabloggers #Macedonianplaces #wiew #macedoniasquare #stylemacarons #inspiremyinstagram #myunicornlife #beautifuldestinations #beautifulplaces #canyonmatka #matkacanyon #matka #littlethingsinlife #simplelife
P E R S O N A L  T O U C H E SWhat do you think of my personalised sneakers? 👟👟
Happiness is when the best mall in town @dohafestcity sends you these personalised @vans
As you all know, there's always something more than just your shopping🛍🛍 experience when you are at Doha Festival City! 💫💫
This time they have a Personalisation Station 🖌🖌🖊🖍as part of their back to school campaign where you can customise your sneakers or backpacks to your own taste.It's on from 10-23 September on the first floor of the centre court!
Go Get Yours too Now 😊😊 .
.#CelebrationEverywhere #Vans #vansoffthewall #offthewall #vansshoes #QatarBloggers #DohaBloggers #DohaFestivalCity #Shoestagram #shoegram #shoesoftheday #backtoschool #personalised #shoeaddict
I found this place so cosy, so pretty, so inviting, so peaceful - that it felt like home 🏡🏡 What does home mean to you?
I would definitely go back to Macedonia again for I Haven't had enough of the country. 💓💓
Getting there was quite a story and I will share that another time. .
. 🛫@qatarairways flies to Skopje from Doha 4 times a week 🛑
🏡Where to stay in Macedonia: @skopjemarriott
🚘How to get here: Lake Ohrid Is a 3 hours drive from Skopje .
.Hijab: @nayabhijabs
Hat: Picked them while street shopping in Skopje
Bag: @Fashidence
#qatarbloggers #visitmacedonia #macedonia #makedonija #makedonya #makedonia #skopjecity #qatarairways #europe #travelbrilliant #marriott #skopjemarriott #acolorstory #traveltheworld #travelbrilliantly #qatarbloggers #dohabloggers #Macedonianplaces #wiew #ohridcity #ohridlake #lakeohrid #albania #fyrom #balkan #goingplacestogether #chichijab
Z E NWater - so therapeutic, so powerful
A glimpse into our private pool at @kandolhu
There won't be words to describe the beauty most of the times Yet I try ! .
🚘How to get here: Kandolhu is a journey of 25 minutes by sea plane from Male and 14 minutes ride thereafter in a speed boat .
#qatarblogger #whitesand #beachlife #beaches #travelblogger #swimmingpool #oceanvilla #qatarairways #privatepool #honeymoondestination #sunandsea #maldiveslovers #sunnysideoflife #traveltheworld #visitmaldives #qatarbloggers #dohabloggers #maldivesresort #maldives2017 #maldivesislands #stylemacarons #inspiremyinstagram #beautifulmaldives #beautifuldestinations #beautifulplaces #maldives #kandolhudhoo #kandolhu #beautifulhotels #luxuryhotelpix
May your Friday be filled with joy, inspiration, enlightenment and prosperity!More on the picture:
This is a mosque built by 2 sisters from the Ottoman Period (1438) and is in Tetovo - a city in Macedonia.The Šarena Džamija was originally built in 1438. The architect behind the Šarena Džamija was Isak Bey.Most mosques of the time had sultans, beysor pashas financing their constructions, but the Šarena Džamija, however, was financed by two sisters from Tetovo. As with many mosques, a hammam was built nearby across the river.The site used to include an Inn as well as a bathhouse on the other side of the river. The current courtyard of the Šarena Džamija is filled with many flowers, a fountain, and aTürbe. The octagonal "türbe" houses the resting places of Hurshida and Mensure, the two sisters who financed the construction of the mosque in 1438. .
🇲🇰
. . . 🛫@qatarairways flies to Skopje from Doha 4 times a week 🛑
🛑 🛑
🚘How to get here: Tetovo Is around a little less than an hours drive from Skopje .