How to Brew that Perfect Cup of Tea | Jing

I am not that person who cannot live without tea or coffee. I enjoy both of them from time to time. However, learning about their growth, types, and everything that has to brewing that perfect cup, I wouldn’t pass it by just like that. Having been to the world’s highest tea plantation just last month, and a year ago travelling through as many tea plantation, and all experiences – tea I could while in Sri Lanka, I was nothing but delighted when an invite for a tea masterclass came in – Why not?

Having been to the Highest Tea Plantation in the World just last month, and going through Sri Lanka’s various tea estates, tea museums, and tea factory the year before, I am always fascinated about experiencing and learning anything that has got to do with Tea.

January is International Hot Tea Month. It is said that tea was founded when dried leaves landed in a boiling cup of water served to the Chinese Emperor Shen Nung.

Our masterclass was arranged in the outdoor seating of the Lobby Lounge at The Westin Doha. It was quite windy that day, and the wind was strong enough to even knock down a potted plant off the table. In this cold, and windy setting, there was nothing like some freshly brewed tea to keep us warm.

Jing Tea is one of the most premium teas in the world, and the company was founded in 2004. We were given a chance to see the difference in quality of the tea. The aroma, the packaging, the concept – everything was well thought about, and put together.

For a cup of tea, normally around 4 grams of tea leaves are recommended.

• Valerie
    January 23, 2017 at 12:33 am

This post makes me realize how little I know about tea! That is such a good tip about putting a little room temp water on the white & green tea before covering with boiling, it never would have occurred to me. I would absolutely love to go to a tea plantation one day. The highest one in the world- was that in Sri Lanka?

January 23, 2017 at 1:33 am

The highest tea plantation in the world is in India

• Fiona Mai
    January 23, 2017 at 1:50 am

Oh wow, it’s always interesting to learn about the tea culture in each country. I’m living in the UK where drinking tea is a serious topic. Also in Japan the tea serving and brewing process is quite complicated, too. Great to know more about brewing tea in Sri Lanka. Thanks for sharing!

• Lena from fouronaworldtrip
    January 23, 2017 at 1:42 pm

great article! I am always amazed to find so much detail and science in a drink (or food) that I just casually drink without giving it much thought or being able to figure out any differences. It makes me appreciate it more knowing that it’s not just a random drink 🙂 Thank you for that!

• Lydia@LifeUntraveled
    January 23, 2017 at 8:58 pm

I don’t drink much tea but my boyfriend is a big fan so when we traveled to Sri Lanka and India two years ago, he purchased a bunch of different teas from different regions. It’s fascinating how such a simple beverage can be so complex to prepare!

• claire
    January 24, 2017 at 5:23 am

This would be my perfect day! I’m such a huge tea fan. I’m British so its in my blood haha. I love tea so much I brought a tone of herbs with me on the road and some Yorkshire tea bags so I never have to do without!

• Cori
    January 24, 2017 at 5:16 pm

There was a while in my life where all of my tea was brought back from Sri Lanka for me, as a friend would go back to see his family regularly. Despite this, I’d never really thought about how cool it would be to go to Sri Lankan tea plantations myself. Very neat!

January 24, 2017 at 6:37 pm

The tea plantations are amazing just to look at. And the tea brands and packaging that you will see in Sri Lanka those are such bank breakers. So pretty and different that you want them all. You should definitely visit Sri Lanka if you get the chance to. Its a beautiful country. My masterclass was in Doha where am based ☺

• Sarah Kim
    January 24, 2017 at 5:31 pm

Oh I’d love to take a masterclass for tea! I only found out that tea leaves are supposed to be boiled at different temperatures because of this water boiler that I bought. It actually has different marks for white tea vs. coffee so I don’t have to think twice about what’s best!

January 24, 2017 at 6:35 pm

That is such a cool water boiler. So informative when its just a boiler. Where did you get that from?

• Scott Balaam
    January 25, 2017 at 11:35 am

Love this – first time I’ve ever read an article about ‘tea’ … I loved the picture of Jing Chamomile. It’s amazing how many different types of tea there are.

• Erica - The Manini Experience
    January 25, 2017 at 7:27 pm

I love tea so much and especially appreciate the process of making tea. That photo of the woman picking the tea leaves is so gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!

• Shobha
    January 25, 2017 at 9:13 pm

I had no idea that different tea was brewed differently! I’d love to do this so I can learn more. I love tea but only ever have either green tea or English Breakfast.

• Sarah @Daydreams of Summertime
    January 26, 2017 at 11:07 pm

I would love to take a masterclass in tea making! I am British so take tea drinking very seriously. I own a few types of tea by Jing that have been sitting in my cupboard for a while and this post has inspired me to get them out and drink them!

• Milena
    January 27, 2017 at 1:58 am

As a real tea lover, I find this post so useful! Unfortunately, I haven’t had a chance to taste Jing Tea, but it looks really good from your picture and description. Thanks for sharing!

• Emily
    January 28, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Sounds like a perfect day. Tea absolutely has to be taken seriously – it’s a way of life for us Brits! The teapots the Sri Lankans use here are beautiful as you can watch the tea brewing. I’ll definitely have to go here if I get to Sri Lanka!

• The Common Wanderer
    January 29, 2017 at 1:13 pm

Tea was our saviour each morning on our RTW trip. If’s funny how some leaves and boiling water can make life worth living each morning 🙂

• Jesper, The Biveros Effect
    January 29, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Wow, the art of tea really is something. My normal cup of tea with some honey sounds quite simple in comparison. 🙂

P A T T E R N S
Do you love patterns too?
This pic is exactly as I shot off the wall at the newly opened @timerakohotel at Al Wakrah.
So fascinated to see new places coming up and the rapid changes this country has been going through and growing through
#ihavethisthingwithwalls #ihavethisthingwithtiles #wallswallswalls #ihaveathingwithwalls #walls_talking #timehotelsandresorts #timehotels #alwakra #alwakrah #qatarbloggers #dohabloggers #patterns #patterndesigns  #timerakohotel #fromwhereyoustand #islamicart #geometricart #geometry #visualcrush #postitfortheaesthetic #Visitqatar
A T T I T U D EBe humble enough to admit you are not perfect but determined enough to strive to be.
More often than not you can find people who deem themselves perfect or priveleged and make you feel like your hardwork and your skills are nothing( I have been made to feel like this several times). Dont let that get to you. Your talent, knowledge and skill that you have with you are more than money can ever buy. The people you need to admire and can most definitely learn a lot from are the humble and patient ones. . .
#skopje #visitmacedonia #macedonia #makedonija #makedonya #makedonia #skopjecity #qatarairways #europe #travelbrilliant #marriott #skopjemarriott #acolorstory #flyawaysquad #macedoniatimeless #traveltheworld #travelbrilliantly #qatarbloggers #dohabloggers #Macedonianplaces
#skopjecity #strumica #sudtirol_lovers #easterneurope #sightseeing #balkan #balkans #tetovo #february #forbestravelguide
G O O D  H E A L T H
I wish we all learn to appreciate the blessing  of good health much more than we take it for granted.
#qatarbloggers #Dohabloggers #muscat #muscatbloggers #omanbloggers #experienceoman  #muscat #beautifulplaces #tlpicks #traveltagged #travelblogger #travelandleisure #sheisnotlost #wearetravelgirls #femmetravel #ladiesgoneglobal #lifewelltravelled #beautifulmatters #beautifuldestinations #youmustsee #luxuryworldtraveler  #intercontinentalmuscat  #beautifulplaces #beautifuldestinations #travelphotography #ihghotels #dobiggerthings #darlingescapes #girlsthatwander
S P O I L T  F O R  C H O I C E
New cafe alert @cafecocome at Doha Festival City - first floor, next to H&M
Your stop for all things food. From your weekend breakfast to your coffee meetings, lunch cravings and dessert breaks, Cafe Coco can now be your happy stop any day, anytime.
#cafecocome
#dohafestivalcity #sharethelove #dohabloggers #qatarbloggers #beautifulcuisines #f52food #buzzfeedfood #foodography
M A T K A  C A N Y O N
One of the most scenic spots we went to in Macedonia and one I would love to go back again to.
The water was so chilly, the colors around so beautiful. What I love about nature is that it does not judge. It shows the same beauty to everyone around. Everyone gets the same service regardless of who they are.
Come rain or wind, it passes through everywhere with no exception. Isn't nature such a wonderful teacher?
Only if we took lessons from it! Whats the favorite lesson you have learnt from nature?
. ..
#skopje #visitmacedonia #macedonia #makedonija #makedonya #makedonia #skopjecity #qatarairways #europe #travelbrilliant #marriott #skopjemarriott #acolorstory #flyawaysquad #sheisnotlost #macedoniatimeless #traveltheworld #travelbrilliantly #qatarbloggers #dohabloggers #Macedonianplaces
#skopjecity #strumica #ohridcity #easterneurope #sightseeing #balkan #balkans #tetovo #february #forbestravelguide
V I S I O N
No matter how narrow minded we think a person can be, they can still see beauty if they really want to look for it. Beauty and Goodness is there in everyone just like faults. Why is it so easy to point out faults and not the good?
Can you go to sleep with a clean conscience having pointed out someone's fault? Or is the happiness through saying the right words that makes your day happy?
If so, before you write from behind the screen, before anger, jealousy or negative feelings take over your words, try and pause and choose the good words 💟 .
S N O R I N G & S L E E P  A P N E A 😴😴
I sat down with the ENT specialist Dr. Agish Mathew at Aster Hospital and one of the things I learnt was more on the problem of snoring in sleep. More than 75% of people who snore have obstructive sleep apnea (when breathing is disrupted during sleep for short periods), which increases the risk of developing heart disease.😲😲
At Aster Hospital they can provide the service of observing you and analysing your sleep patterns . More often than not a person who snores struggles to get enough oxygen into the brain while asleep and the person wakes up tired because the body works so hard while asleep😌 to get enough oxygen into the brain.
For this reason, if anyone around you has a snoring problem, dont take it lightly.
The Aster Hospital in Qatar offers the service of studying sleeping disorders overnight and making sure to diagnose the cause of it and how to rectify it.
Did you know about this before?
Share it with everyone you know!
#AsterHospitalQatar #AsterQatar
@asterdmhqatar
#ad
M A L D I V E S
It almost felt like I wanted to take a fluffy piece of cloud and keep it for myself
#maldives #beachlife #luxelife #sunnysideoflife #thoughts #maldives #dhigali #dhigalimaldives #islandlife #success #dohabloggers #qatarbloggers #ilovetravel #lovetravel

Latest Memoir Entries